Pages

Search through the archives of our blog!

A Simple Dress Made For All Body Types!

Laura modeling a dress she made herself!
Lately I have been really craving to make something different other than ties, cosmetic bags, and Retro Ribbons. I think that is my biggest problem around building an actual business around something that I make. I seem to get bored of making the same thing day after day. So, I have begin to try my hand at making apparel. No, I will not be making clothing for The Maine Square customer. (Never say never though...) For now I am sewing apparel just for myself and for family members. But you never know what the future holds! I decided to try something that seemed fairly simple to make. But the truth is, no matter how simple something looks to make, it never is that simple. Sewing is a skill that requires precision and patience. Two things that I have always had in me, but never really exercised until I began sewing back in 2016. It's pretty amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it! Like with anything, sewing requires practice. And like I said, even when it looks simple, if you have never done it before, it isn't as easy as it may look. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it! I suggest practicing on very cheap fabric such as a muslin first. I know, muslins are so plain and boring and you are excited to begin sewing with some pretty fabric. I get it! But you will be so mad at yourself if you mess something up on your nice fabric. I've done it and it's devastating! So I suggest practicing on something boring and very cheap first. I also suggest not setting the expectation to make an entire garment in one day. Do it in baby steps. Maybe you set aside an hour a day to sew. That way, you won't get burnt out when things might not go exactly the way you had planned. Just take a break and revisit your project the next day or in a few hours! I have made a few pieces of clothing now. I have made a skirt with darts and a zipper, (I'm really proud of that one,) and a sleeveless blouse with a pretty pleat down the front, (I even tackled making my own bias trim for that one!) And this dress shown in this blog post, which I am making again in a dressier metallic linen fabric for my sister and I. It's coming out pretty nice except the metallic bias trim has been a little difficult to work with. It's so slippery, but I am getting the hang of it! I'll show that dress off in a future blog post...Hopefully with both my sister and I wearing them!
Below are a few more detailed photo of the dress I made. And If you scroll to the bottom of this blog post, I share the four materials I used to make this dress and the links to purchase them if you would like to make this!
A simple dress for all body types!

bias binding around arms and neckline
 It took me a little bit to figure out how to attach the single fold bias tape. But I finally did it after watching a few awesome YouTube videos which I will link to at the end of this blog post if you are interested in watching.
French seams
 I am really proud of my French seams. They look really professional! I know I am just a beginner sewist, and most people recommend just using pinking shears to prevent your garment from unraveling, but it just didn't look professional enough to me. I will link to the YouTube video tutorial on How To Sew A French Seam at the end of this blog post for your reference.
dress with side pockets
 My dress has pockets!
materials used to make my sundress
Materials used to make this dress:
Dress No. 1 Pattern by 100 Acts of Sewing
Garden Girl 100% cotton fabric from Hobby Lobby
White thread by Sewology
Single fold bias tape by Sewology
YouTube videos about how to apply bias tape by Lauren Guthrie:
Part 1 https://youtu.be/hn077MsVhNI
Part 2 https://youtu.be/C-Lh1TG5dys
YouTube video on how to sew French seams: https://youtu.be/YYa86gQbN6c

If you try to make this or anything else, please have fun! Make mistakes and learn from them, try again, and be so proud of yourself! And I am here for you always! Please fee free to contact me by making a comment below or you can always e mail me by using my online contact form here! 

No comments: